Containment sumps are one of your first protective defenses for pumps, piping and tank tops. These containments consist for UDC(s) & STP(s).
Containment Sumps should be water tight, free of breaches and holes, making them the durable against allowing product to enter the ground and environment should a leak occur.
Containment Sumps serve a variety of functions:
- Containing leaks from submersible turbine pumps and piping components within the sump.
- Collecting and containing leakage from double-walled piping that enters the sumps.
- Containing spills that may occur during maintenance activities associated with components within the sumps.
- Keeping groundwater away from the components with the sumps in areas of high water tables.
- Isolating components from corrosive effects of subsurface moisture and soil.
According to the PEI/RP 900-08 manual there is a checklist that should be performed for containment sumps.
1. Any water or product removed properly
2. Sump is free of cracks, holes, bulges & other defects
3. Penetration fittings are intact and secured
PS&C can perform this check list for you. Our UST-Comp standard operating procedures performs both the visual inspection, as well as, the hydrostatic test for your sumps.